Fun fact: cannabis as a healing medicine has been used for over 3000 years. Its origins, in fact, lie in India and Jamaica where the drug’s medicinal benefits have been widely accepted and adopted.
For instance, expectant mothers in Jamaica have been consuming cannabis tea to cure morning sickness and counter pregnancy-induced stress. Today, it is used all over the world to remedy a range of health conditions, including anxiety, depression, chronic pain and even Alzheimer’s.
Consuming cannabis through edibles has gained widespread popularity over the years – especially among those who want to bypass the risks associated with smoking it.
The use of cannabis infused tea dates back to more than 3000 years for a very good reason – it is not only absorbed slowly in the digestive tract but also provides a slow and steady release of THC, the main psychoactive compound responsible for getting you high.
This is highly beneficial for people who wish to consume cannabis regularly but don’t want to restock their supply every few days, since minimal dosages are required when you consume marijuana with tea.
Benefits of Having Marijuana Tea
Other than the obvious benefit of comfortably consuming your cannabis while working out of the office or wandering out in the open public without attracting unwanted attention, consuming marijuana tea carries a host of benefits:
Reduced Chronic Pain
If you suffer from chronic pain, drinking cannabis in your favourite hot beverage can help. The cannabinoids in cannabis like CBD (non-psychoactive) and THC (psychoactive) have the ability to fight pain.
By ingesting cannabis with tea, the plant’s active ingredients are absorbed directly through the liver and digestive tract. It usually takes anywhere between an hour to an hour and a half for the cannabis tea to take effect.
And this is where the magic happens – the pain relief needs to be ongoing – the longer it takes to absorb, the longer the effects are. Since cannabis infused tea exhibits slow absorption and long-lasting effects, it is ideal for chronic pain conditions like arthritis, MS, AIDS and cancer where sustained relief from pain is needed.
All you need is one cup to benefit from the prolonged pain relief effects.
Relief from Anxiety and Depression
If stress is the most common health condition most folks face today, then anxiety and depression take second place, unfortunately; 350 million people suffer from depression worldwide and at least 1 out of every 13 people is affected by anxiety.
Cannabis boasts potent neuroprotective properties that can regulate emotional attributes. It is abundant in antioxidants which can repair cells and even protect DNA from too much oxidative damage. Furthermore, its power anti-inflammatory properties can protect against conditions that induce brain swelling. Brain swelling can heavily contribute toward anxiety and depression.
What better way to enjoy all these health benefits than have a relaxing cup of marijuana tea? Enjoy twice the antioxidants and healing properties.
Improved Lung Health
Since cannabis is a bronchodilator, it increases airflow in the respiratory tract while decreasing resistance – it even has the ability to treat lung cancer.
High THC strains can actually reduce tumours in lung cancer by 50% and prevent it from spreading. Cannabis tea is a great alternative for people who wish to experience the medicinal benefits as well as the relaxing high without actually smoking it. Plus, if you’re already suffering from a respiratory ailment, you only stand to gain by consuming cannabis tea.
Better Heart Health
Daily exercise, a healthy diet and active lifestyle aren’t the only factors that contribute to good heart health.
It has been well-researched that cannabinoids can lower blood pressure and improve blood circulation within tissues – the compounds in cannabis widen and open up the arteries, helping them relax.
Marijuana infused tea is the perfect way to enjoy these gentle and long-lasting effects.
Prevent Onset of Alzheimer’s
A recent study revealed that THC consumed in small doses acts as a speed bump for beta-amyloid proteins – which are a key characteristic of Alzheimer’s. Even though the study was a preliminary one, it concluded that cannabinoids have neuroprotective properties, which are essential in preventing the debilitating disease.
Enjoy the neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory benefits in a relaxing tea which delivers those powerful cannabinoids to your system.
The health benefits above are not comprehensive as cannabis boasts many other benefits, particularly when consumed in a tea. However, let’s turn the page and move on to the ‘fun stuff’ – the three most common and easiest ways to make cannabis tea:
3 Best Ways of Making Cannabis Tea
Simple Marijuana Tea – The Easiest Way
- Grind those buds by separating out the stems and seeds and then using a grinder to grind them to a fine mix, but not powder. You can also chop up the buds using a sharp kitchen knife.
- Mix the grinded or chopped up buds with butter or coconut oil. Mix them up in a bowl with a spoon, ensuring that every piece is nicely coated. We’re aiming for the grounds to be coated completely but not soaked in butter, because this will prevent them from properly releasing THC.
- Empty a teabag and stuff it with the cannabis-butter mix. You can use a pair of scissors to cut off the tea bag from the top so that contents can be easily emptied. Spoon the ground cannabis into the teabag and fold it over multiple times as we don’t want that good stuff to spill out.
Use a metal tea ball instead, if you have one or, you could use a coffee filter as well. All you need to do is place the ground cannabis in the filter’s centre, gather the edges and tie it up neatly to make a small bag.
- Pour some water in a small pan and apply medium heat to bring it to a simmer, not a complete boil.
- Now we need to let the teabag simmer in the water for at least 30 minutes. Should the mixture start to boil, lower the heat. If the water level gets low, add some more because we don’t want it to evaporate completely.
- Time to take it off the heat. Be careful when removing the teabag because the cannabis tea will be very hot. We’d recommend letting it cool off for a good 5 minutes. If you fancy a little extra flavour, add your favourite flavour-infused teabag, but only during the final 3 minutes of simmering. Lemon, tangerine, camomile and peppermint are all great choices to begin with.
Cannabis Herbal Tea
- Time to grind those cannabis buds again. Follow the exact same step as highlighted in ‘step 1’ of the above method for making simple cannabis infused tea.
- Use a pair of scissors to cut off the tea bag from the top so that contents can be easily emptied. Spoon the ground cannabis into the teabag and fold it over multiple times as we don’t want that good stuff to spill out. We’re assuming you’ve already coated the ground marijuana with butter.
Use a metal tea ball instead or a coffee filter, which works just as well. All you need to do is place the ground cannabis in the filter’s centre, gather the edges and tie it up neatly to make a small bag. You’ll notice that this is the exact same step from ‘step 3’ in the first method – no need to get alarmed, you are on track!
- Place the teabag in a coffee mug. You can add another teabag to enhance the overall flavour – Irish breakfast, earl grey or any flavoured herbal tea would do.
- Now boil a cup of water which can either be done easily in the microwave or manually on a stove, if you prefer.
- Pour the boiling water into your coffee mug, letting the teabag steep for at least 3-5 minutes. The more you let it steep, the richer the flavour will be.
- Discard the teabag and enjoy your tea! For additional taste, you can add some milk, honey or sugar.
Non-Psychoactive Cannabis Tea (Without the High)
This method of making cannabis tea does not contain any fat – therefore, you will not experience a ‘high’. Fact: THC cannot dissolve in tea unless it binds with fat. However, you will still reap THCA’s benefits – the acid form of THC.
- Start by grinding your cannabis properly.
- Mix the teabag’s contents with the ground cannabis. Place the mix in a metal tea ball or sachet.
- Place the tea ball or sachet in a cup and pour boiling water into it.
- Steep the tea for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how strong and flavour-rich you like to have your tea.
- For a fuller, richer flavour, add some honey, milk or sugar, or your favourite flavour-infused teabag.
That covers it – The three most common and popular ways of enjoying a great cup of cannabis tea right at home.