makes approximately 1 ¾ cup | 4 to 7 hours to make
- 2 cups (454g) of unrefined coconut oil/butter
- 2 cups (473ml) of water
- 20 to 40 grams of cannabis flower or trim (roughly torn up)
You will need the following items:
- Glass baking dish
- Tin foil
- Measuring cup
- Slow cooker
- Silicon spatula
- Cheese cloth
- Glass container and lid
The strength of your infusion will depend on the potency of the cannabis you use and the amount you add to the infusion.
The first step to making infused coconut oil is to decarboxylate the cannabis.
Temperature can be slightly different from one oven to another, what’s important to remember is you don’t want to burn the cannabis. Low and slow is the key here. If you have an oven thermometer feel free to use one.
How to decarboxylate cannabis material:
1. Preheat the oven to 220 Fahrenheit / 104 Celsius.
2. Using a sheet of tinfoil make a pouch by placing the cannabis on the foil and folding it over loosely and tucking over the edges.
3. Place this pouch in a glass baking dish and bake at 220 for 30 to 45 minutes.
How to infuse the decarboxylated cannabis material into coconut oil:
1.Turn your slower cooker on to the lowest setting.
2. Melt 2 cups of coconut oil/butter in the crock pot.
3. Add 2 cups of water into the melted coconut oil.
4. Stir the decarbed cannabis into the coconut and water mixture and let it sit at the lowest setting of the slow cooker for 4 to 6 hours stirring on occasion. You should see small bubbles appear as it infuses but it’s important to not let it boil.
5. Place the strainer lined with cheese cloth over the glass container. Slowly pour the infusion into the strainer. The oil will drain into the glass container and the plant material will stay in the cheese cloth. You don’t want any of the plant material in the end product.
6. Let the infusion cool down on the counter for about an hour.
7. Place the lid on the container and put it in the fridge for 12 hours.
8. The oil and water will separate leaving the infused coconut oil floating on top. It will be solid at this point. Pour out the water and place the solid piece of oil onto a plate. If necessary, you can rinse the cold oil carefully under cold water to rinse off any water left from the infusing process.
Store the cannabis infused oil in an air tight container in the refrigerator or freezer.