Pipes, bongs, vapers and even fruit have been used to deliver that impromptu cannabis hit over the years. But what happens if you suddenly find yourself with some buds but nothing to smoke it with? The good news is that weed pipes can be made out of a whole bunch of stuff you may have lying around the home. Even if you’re stuck in the great outdoors, it’s surprising what you can find to use as a weed pipe.
We’ll take a long hard look at how a little DIY and imagination can really save the day, wherever you are. A word of warning first: You should always use components that are safe, of course. Check that the thing you use has no harmful chemicals inside, especially if you’ve found something like a can or bottle.
Make sure you know what it contained. Don’t just pick up the first thing you see lying around and turn it into a weed pipe. Ideally, you should use a delivery vessel that has been specially designed for use with cannabis. A commercially made weed pipe will give you a better experience and will do your cannabis justice. They’re designed to control the burn, enhance the flavour and produce a steady delivery. Find one if you can. These suggestions are for when you have absolutely have no other choice.
Raid the Kitchen
Using fruit or vegetables to fashion a makeshift weed pipe is still popular, especially at parties. It’s simple to do and most people have at least something hanging around in the kitchen that can be used. Some foodstuffs are more suitable than others, that goes without saying.
We suggest that you avoid anything that is excessively mushy inside if you don’t want to ruin your cannabis before you even get to try it. You need something where you can make a base to load your cannabis and which has a tube or hollowing out where you can draw the smoke. The ideal fruit is an apple.
Go to any party in states where cannabis is legal and you will undoubtedly find someone doing strange things to an apple. It’s a something like a right of passage for college kids. Turing an apple into a weed pipe is quick and easy. Simply cut a hole through the center stem but make sure that you don’t go right through to the bottom. Then carve a horizontal hole over into the central one so that you basically create an l-shaped tube. You now have your basic weed pipe.
If you don’t want to suck on the apple, you can insert something like an empty pen as a mouthpiece but most people don’t bother.
All you need to do then is load the top of the fruit and start using your improvised weed pipe. Some people believe it enhances the flavor of the cannabis and others even combine different fruit and vegetables to make their pipe because that’s something of a challenge. The top 6 fruit and veg for making a weed pipe are:
- Apple: Still the most popular choice but a lot depends on whether you’ve got a healthily stocked kitchen. Fruit can also add some extra flavor to your cannabis which is why making weed pipes is such a hit at parties.
- Honeydew Melon: Avoid watermelons because they’re a bit too mushy. Cantaloupes are also a good choice. You can also introduce multiple access points because of the size of the melon.
- Pineapple: With a hard exterior, the pineapple is actually a pretty sturdy choice for a weed pipe. You can create a large bowl and again add multiple pipes for everyone to enjoy. It can get a little sticky, however.
- Jalapeno: Medium size chilies and peppers are good, quick options for weed pipes and you may even get a nice chili hit into the bargain. The smaller varieties can be more than a little fiddly. Larger peppers also work pretty well.
- Squash: These come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. If you’ve never tried smoking cannabis out of a pumpkin at Halloween, you’ve never lived. The harder flesh means you need to put in a little more work but it creates a stable weed pipe that will last most of the evening.
- Cucumber: If you want to be cool as cucumber, you can. The waxy skin keeps everything together and stops the inside juice from getting all over your hands.
Of course, not all fruit and veg work – you won’t want to try banana or tomato for example. Then again, maybe you do!
Which strain better to use with real fruit than our Strawberry Banana Grape Strain?
Pens and Soda Can Weed Pipes
If fresh kitchen produce isn’t your thing, there are plenty of items around the home that you can use to improvise a weed pipe. The simplest and easiest to fashion is the traditional pen pipe. All you need is one with a tube and a metal tip. Take out the tip, turn it around and fix it to the main body of the pen. This means you now have a vessel to pack in your cannabis. Light it up and suck on the other end of the pen and you’re good to go.
The one slight problem with this is that you can only load a small amount of cannabis at any one time. If you don’t have a pen, an empty soda can will do just as well.
Make a shallow dent in the side to form a small bowl and then use a pin to make a few holes in this area. Load your buds in the dent and then use the empty tab opening to take a draw. The advantage of this method over the pen is that you are less likely to get hot smoke burning your lips and can get a stronger draw.
The steamroller is another popular choice of improvised weed pipe. All you require is a cardboard toilet roll and some tin foil. Cut a hole in the top of the roll and then create a bowl with a small amount of foil that has been pierced with a pin in several places. You can light up without burning the card and draw from the open end while covering the other.
These are just a few ideas for weed pipes that should keep you going in an emergency. The truth is that you are only limited by your own imagination. In the past, people have used everything from Lego to tic-tac holders.
Making an Improvised Bong
You may not want a weed pipe at all but something a little more serious. Many cannabis users prefer a bong because it delivers a cleaner vapor and, let’s face it, is a lot more fun. The good news is that these are pretty easy to make too.
All you really need is a plastic bottle, a pen weed pipe like the one described above and some water. Put a hole in the plastic bottle with the pen pointing down at an angle towards the base of the bottle. Then put some water in the bottle, coming up to just below that hole. Next you can light your cannabis and draw on it from the neck of the bottle.
It’s not perfect but actually does work and takes only a few minutes to put together.
Make A Gravity Bong
If you are looking for something a little more elegant, there are a couple of ways to make a gravity bong. Our favourite is fairly simple and designed to impress at parties.
- First you need a bucket or sink of water.
- Take an empty plastic bottle and cut the bottom off it.
- Fashion a bowl out of tin foil with some holes and fix this onto the neck.
- Load up your cannabis and then place the cut base in the water almost up to the neck.
- Light your buds and move the bottle slowly up without coming out of the water.
You’ll see the smoke fill the bottle. Once you have enough, remove the bud bowl and draw in the vapor into your lungs by moving the bottle back down into the water again. It takes some coordination but works pretty well.
We’ve been using weed pipes and bongs for as long as cannabis has been around. That’s about 5,000 years if we believe archaeological discoveries in recent years. People have always made their own devices and a little imagination can get you a long way.
All you need is something with the pipe principles – a heat resistant place to load the cannabis and a tube to suck on to get the smoke into your lungs. Whether you are at a party or out in the wilds, search around and you should be able to find something that is going to work. And the great thing about using fruit is that you can always eat it afterwards!