There is perhaps nothing more disheartening than putting in 90+ days of hard cultivation work with your cannabis plant only to end up with a limp, sparse plant offering little in the way of dense buds.
However, following some simple steps may be all it takes to transform your latest grow into a hugely successful yield.
Below are six key factors to consider when you are wanting to add some serious weight to your next grow.
Training your plant to become well-matured and thick branched is one way to increase the yield of cannabis.
There are many methods you can incorporate into your plant training during its vegetation period. Training your plants once in flower can be counter-productive, so it is advised to have everything set in place for the stretching phase of the flowering schedule:
- Scrog – Using a screen to manipulate the new growing shoots, so everything above the screen receives lighting and anything below is stripped away.
- Topping – This is when you produce multiple tops by removing the original single shoot. The plant will naturally repair itself and now grow 2 new shoots from the originally topped one.
- Fimming – Referring to when 75% of the new shoot is removed leaving 25% of the leaf matter remaining. This is not quite topping and allows the plant to grow into a bushy shrub.
- Super Cropping – When the main stem or side branch is purposely snapped and left to repair. A wooden knuckle will form where the break was and now the plant will have natural growth repair hormones working hard.
The general law with plant growth is that the rate of metabolism is determined by how much lighting, carbon dioxide and nutrients is received. Providing your grow is indoors, intense lighting is one way to increase the yield of cannabis plants. The grow lights which should be considered for large yields are 1000w HPS or high end L.E.D lighting.
Providing your plants with fluorescent lighting or anything below 600w will become a challenge to try and get your gram to watt conversion. If you are currently growing with a 600w H.P.S, then we would suggest you step it up to 1000w. Accompanied by some growing experience and a little information, you can easily hit that gram per watt conversion.
When most growers are looking for the holy grail of strains, the first things they usually want to know is if they are big yielders and if they will flower in a time that will allow maximum production.
There are so many seed banks and new breeders that are emerging and with marketing playing a huge role in the industry, finding those veteran big yielders can be a little bit harder than the old days. A good tip if you want big yielding plants is to find the modern day hybrids of Skunk, Haze and White genetics.
Those who have ever made the switch and never looked back, can swear that growing with hydroponics is the difference between increasing yields by up to 400%.
Of course, with this reward comes risk, so before taking on the expensive and time consuming switch to hydroponic systems, it is advised to become well educated in the field of growing with soilless medium.
Growing with hydroponics relies heavily on regulating your E.C and P.H. With it being an expensive way to grow, the yields and final flower quality are up there with commercial scale farming. This is why commercial scale farming of fruit and vegetables is usually done with outdoor hydroponic systems.
Dripper systems are mainly used in commercial horticulture as these systems allow little maintenance and reliability every time.
Incorporating carbon dioxide into your grow room will supplement your plants with some much needed CO2.
Outside, the natural CO2 count in the atmosphere is 400 parts per million. As a grower you can easily increase this by 300% and as a result will see how the plants metabolism corresponds with the new uptake of fresh CO2.
Growing with high CO2 levels can be very beneficial, although you should consider that temperatures above 30 degrees Celsius are necessary for the plant to fully utilise the available CO2.
If you are growing organically or hydroponically, nutrients are a key player in producing big healthy plants.
One nutrient that you will want to consider is sugar based molasses, as these are wonderful in terms of supplying rich carbon sugars to the root zone.
Sugar is what will pack on the weight as well as feeding Phosphorus and Potassium in flower. If you are currently feeding your plants everything but sugar based molasses, then a great tip is to start incorporating that into your feeding schedule.