If you have used a Storz & Bickel Volcano vaporizer, or any other vaporizer that uses a balloon, you’ll be aware of its pure and effective results. If you’re lucky enough to own one, you may have wondered if the resin that collects on the inside of the balloon could possibly be used for anything. The answer is, yes! You can make a hug-in-a-mug. Be aware that the strength of your drink will depend on how much resin has collected on the inside of the balloon as well as the strength of the cannabis that has been through the Volcano.
Prep. time: 5 minutes
Simmering time: 10 – 15 minutes
Infusing for 2 – 6 hours.
This recipe will make 2 mugs of delicious hot chocolate with a buzz….
Used Volcano balloon or equivalent
Insulated flask e.g. Thermos
Full fat milk and heavy milk-pan
Hot chocolate powder
Flavoured syrup (optional)
Full fat milk or high fat non dairy alternative
1. Boil a kettle of water, pour into your flask and seal firmly to pre-heat it.
2. Depending on the cleanliness of your balloon you may want to give the outside a wipe over with a damp cloth.
3. Cut your balloon into smaller pieces to fit into the milk-pan and flask, so that the maximum surface area is in contact with the milk.
4. Pour 2 1/4 mugs of milk, allowing for evaporation/spillage, into a milk-pan.
5. Add the balloon sheets to the milk, sticky side up.
6. Watch and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes ensuring the pieces of the bag are submerged for maximum resin extraction.
7. After 10-12 mins. pour the hot water out of your flask.
8. Remove the balloon sheets from the milk-pan and place them carefully in the flask.
9. Pour the milk from the pan to the flask.
10. Firmly re-tighten the lid on your flask and leave to infuse for between two – six hours (the longer it infuses, the stronger it will be).
11. After infusion, decant the milk into another container. I usually use a big jar for this and leave until you want your hot cup of goodness.
12. Pour the milk into a mug using a tea strainer/small sieve to remove any milk solids and then make hot chocolate to your usual recipe. It can be difficult to gauge the strength so it’s recommenced to pour 2/3 of a mug and see how you get on. Many find the distinct cannabis taste a little strong so why not add a flavoured syrup. I like vanilla but mint, orange and coconut work really well too.
13. To satisfy those munchies, use a bigger mug and top with cream and marshmallows.
14. Chill out in front of the TV and enjoy the ride or drink before bed and have one hell of a good night’s sleep.
I find this recipe a godsend for my chronic pain condition as it’s really relaxing and has a powerful effect on the body. Depending on the strength of the ‘hot chocolate’ I sometimes find using the Volcano afterwards can help ‘set things in motion’.
If you drink cow’s milk, opt for full fat this time as the THC from the balloon binds to the fat-soluble molecules in the milk. For those wanting to use a dairy alternative, go for a higher-fat milk substitute such as almond or coconut milk, rather than cashew or rice milk which have insufficient fat content for this purpose.
Make sure you are using genuine Storz & Bickel Volcano balloon bags or other large, food-safe roasting bags.
Not recommended for an early start the next day!